Getting engaged is an unforgettable milestone in one’s life, and an engagement party gives you the opportunity to share the big news with family and friends on both sides. Choosing an engagement party theme might seem overwhelming, but it’s an opportunity to reflect both of your personalities and story as a couple. Whether you’re keeping it small and intimate or want a massive engagement bash, there are plenty of ideas and themes to choose from to ensure your party pairs perfectly with your style and vision.
Should an Engagement Party Have a Theme?
You can absolutely host a no-frills engagement party in your backyard, or maybe at your favorite bar or restaurant, however, many couples choose to incorporate a theme for their engagement parties. Picking a theme can help make the event feel more festive, and could be as simple as turning your backyard engagement party into a barbecue-themed bash. Even if you don’t want to go with an overarching theme, it can be helpful to at least pick a color palette or décor scheme. The vibe of the party could be as simple as a seasonal motif, like fall pumpkins, or a particular style, like farmhouse-chic.
Start by considering your shared interests, are you both foodies, movie buffs, or avid hikers, mountain bikers or travelers? Your theme could revolve around these passions. Another option is to draw inspiration from how you met or where you got engaged. Did your romance blossom in a charming cafe? Or did your dogs introduce you while you were all out on a local hike? Did the proposal happen on a beach getaway or maybe on a special holiday? Your engagement party is a prelude to your wedding, so let your theme be a sneak peek into the upcoming celebration of your love.
Here are some engagement party theme ideas, to help you start brainstorming the perfect official announcement celebration and get everyone hyped for your upcoming wedding.
- Rustic Romance: Embrace the charm of nature with burlap, lace, mason jars, and wildflowers. Think barn settings or outdoor venues adorned with fairy lights.
- Travel Adventure: Celebrate the couple’s love of travel by incorporating elements from their favorite destinations or a travel-themed décor with maps, suitcases, and international cuisine.
- Hollywood Glam: Roll out the red carpet with a glitzy, glamorous affair. Think Hollywood-inspired décor, fancy attire, and maybe a photo booth with movie props.
- Masquerade Ball: Encourage guests to wear masks and indulge in a night of mystery and elegance. Think rich colors, ornate masks, and more formal attire.
- Vintage Glamour: Go back in time with a vintage theme, featuring classic attire, old-fashioned décor, and perhaps a speakeasy-style ambiance with jazz music and retro cocktails.
- Tropical Paradise: Bring the beach vibes or a tropical paradise indoors or outdoors with vibrant colors, leis, tiki torches, and exotic cocktails.
- Book or Movie: If there’s a special movie, book, or TV show they love, consider making that the theme. For example, a Harry Potter engagement party that sorts guests according to their “house.” Decorations and refreshments can be tailored to fit whatever you want for this fun option.
- Seasonal Celebration: Base the party theme on the season of the engagement. It could be a cozy winter wonderland, a blooming spring garden, a sunny summer bash, or a rustic fall harvest.
- Color Themes: Choose the couple’s favorite colors or colors that represent their relationship and incorporate them into the décor, attire, and even the food and drinks.
The theme you choose will help tie your engagement party together and make it as special and beautiful as possible. You can take inspiration from wedding themes and wedding shower themes or just about anything really, it’s your celebration after all. If you aren’t looking to do an engagement party at all, know that you don’t have to, there are lots of opportunities to celebrate before the big day…but if you’re feeling in the mood for a celebration, why not!
Should Your Engagement Party Theme Match Your Wedding Theme?
When it comes to planning your engagement party, whatever theme or color scheme that you choose does not necessarily have to match your wedding theme. Engagement parties happen much earlier than the wedding, and are their own entity; plus you might not even have an idea of your wedding theme yet! However, if you do, this is a great way to test-run your wedding theme idea. Not to mention, you can probably repurpose some of the decorations for the wedding. Regardless of whether it matches the wedding though, setting a theme for your engagement party can be helpful and even assist in planning future festivities.
Your engagement party, at its core, is a reflection of you two as a couple. If there’s a significant shared interest, consider incorporating it into your party theme, especially if it’s particularly meaningful and bonus if it’s shared love is what brought you two together. If you’re looking for something simple, consider planning your engagement party theme around a color or the season. For example, you can celebrate a summertime engagement with a cookout or pool party, or lean into winter with a stay in a cabin or ski chalet in the mountains.
If you’re looking for engagement party venues in Hershey PA, consider Historic Acres. Our stunning property features three spaces for events including indoor and outdoor options and can accommodate small and large groups. Contact our team to learn more and plan your special event.